Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Edwin
Is your favorite keyboard making too much noise? Worry not; we have got you covered. Sometimes the room you share with your friend or people in the closer rooms isn’t happy with your clicky keyboard. Or sometimes, people transition from one state to another and want calmness in the atmosphere. There are some practical ways to make your keyboard quieter without replacing it with a quieter one.
1. One way you can dampen the keyboard sound is with a table mat to the desk on which the keyboard is placed. The vibrations stop when it reaches the mat and do not reach the table, which results in a dampened sound.
2. Another simplest way to make your keyboard quieter is to add a foam sheet inside the keyboard. This works exactly like the above hack; however, you need to do some work for that. All you have to do is cut a formic sheet and glue it inside the keyboard between the printed circuit board and button case. This will decrease the vibrations, consequently dampening the sound. You can add any type of foam as all work well.
3. All the sound you hear from a mechanical keyboard comes from the switches. For that matter, this hack shall save you from the loud noise. Installing rubber O-rings around the switches will do an effective job. For that matter, you need to remove the keycaps and easily place them around the switches. This interferes slightly with the impact of each keystroke to lessen the noise.
4. The larger keys in the mechanical keyboards consist of stabilizers that balance the keys. These stabilizers are the primary cause of creating loud, clicky sounds; however, there are some ways to lessen the sound. For instance, applying a band-aid to the site of its stroke will dampen the sound. Other than that, you can also get the base of the stabilizers clipped, which causes more stability, hence lesser noise. Lastly, the easiest and most effective hack is to lubricate the stabilizers, which will prevent friction; hence less sound will be produced.
5. Some switches are louder than others; one hack to make your keyboard quieter is to replace the switches with quieter ones. Linear and tactile switches are quieter than the clicker ones; therefore, you can add any of them to your keyboard.
How can you make your mechanical keyboard quieter?
There are multiple ways to transform your mechanical keyboard into a quieter one. Out of many ways, the most effective and easy way is placing a rubber inside your keyboard. Other than that, you can also add an O-ring to quieten the keystrokes. Lastly, you can place a foam table mat under the keyboard, which will make it less noisy.
Why is a mechanical keyboard loud?
Mechanical keyboards are usually louder because of the switches. The regular keyboards consist of a thin rubber sheet, also called a membrane, between the switch and the keycap, which dampens the sound of keystrokes. That’s why these are known as membrane keyboards. However, that is absent from the mechanical keyboard, which results in a loud, clicky sound.
Does making your mechanical keyboard quieter cause any damage to it?
No, it is completely safe to dampen your mechanical keyboards without causing any damage to their performance. For instance, you can use O-ring or foam pads beneath the keycap, which will dampen its noise. However, you might feel a negligible amount of change in its performance.
A loud mechanical keyboard can be agitating for people around you. The sound is so annoying for some people that it may wake them up from a deep slumber. However, mechanical keyboards can be dampened, which will make everyone around you happier. There are some effective ways that help in making your keyboard quieter. For instance, adding small pads inside the keyboard, O-ring, and many more are mentioned in the above section.